Powerboat Level 2
At Milebuilders, we run the Powerboat Level 2 Course. This fun, challenging and very popular two-day course provides the skills and theory required for driving powerboats such as Rigid Inflatable Boats (RIB), open day-boats and any kind of sports boat up to 10m. We provide group-training sessions (maximum of 3) or we can provide one-to-one tailored tuition for you on your own boat.
The course comprises a theory component and lots of fun on the water practicing low-speed and close-quarters handling, man overboard recovery and an introduction to basic high-speed manoeuvres. If you already have lots of experience driving powerboats, speak to us about the one-day Powerboat Level 2 assessment.
- Minimum age 12 (candidates under the age of 16 will be issued with an endorsed certificate), No pre-course experience or assumed knowledge required, May be preceded by Level 1
- RYA Start Power boating by Jon Mendez, RYA Powerboat handbook by Paul Glatzel (G13), RYA Powerboat Scheme and Logbook (G20)
BRING WITH YOU ON THE DAY
- Waterproof clothing, Sunscreen, Passport sized photo with name and signature on reverse, Note: Life jackets will be provided but feel free to bring your own
- Duration: 2 days, Daily start and finish time: 09.30 – 17.30hrs
- Launching and recovery, Safety equipment, Lines and fenders, Fuel tanks, Effects of current or tide, Planing and low speed manoeuvring, Propeller controls, Securing to a buoy, Anchoring, Leaving and coming alongside, Man overboard, Types of craft and engine, Maintenance checks, IRPCS, Weather forecasts, Emergency action
- The Powerboat Level 2 Certificate is awarded on successful completion of the Powerboat Level 2 course
- After the course you should be a self-sufficient power-boater on open planning craft up to 10m in the right conditions, aware of your own limitations and those of the craft. At the end of a successful course you may also be eligible for an International Certificate of Competence (ICC).
- Note: if you are taking this course and intend to apply for an ICC, a coastal Powerboat Level 2 course will allow you to apply for a coastal ICC for Power up to 10m. The inland Powerboat Level 2 course will allow you to apply for an inland ICC for Power up to 10m, providing you have also successfully passed a CEVNI test. For more information and to check the eligibility criteria please refer to the ICC application form.
- Please contact us with the dates you would like to do this course and we will try to arrange this for you