This five-day RYA Coastal Skipper sailing course is for advanced skippering techniques for yachtsmen and women with considerable knowledge of sailing and navigation that want to undertake coastal passages by day and night. This intensive practical course covers skippering passages in more challenging conditions and provides thorough tuition for passage planning, pilotage by day and night, boat handling, safety and emergency situations.
A coastal skipper is a yachtsman or woman who has the ability to skipper a yacht in coastal waters by day or night. There is a shore-based course which provides the background knowledge required, a practical course which teaches the skills and techniques required, and a Certificate of Competence. While the qualification originated in the United Kingdom, the course is taught worldwide. Recognised sailing Schools based in Mallorca and authorised to conduct the training include Deep Blue Sea Training based in Santa Catalina, Palma and Solaris Sailing based in Port Andratx.
- Minimum age 17, 15 days, 2 days as skipper, 300 miles, 8 night hours, Boat handling to the standard of Day Skipper and navigation to shore-based Coastal, Completed the Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Offshore shore-based course
- Seaman’s Guide to the Rules of the Road by JWW Ford, Yachtmaster for Sail and Power by Alison Noice
BRING WITH YOU ON THE DAY
- Waterproof clothing, Sunscreen
- Duration: 5 days, Start and finish time: 09.30 to variable
- Passage planning, Preparation for sea, Pilotage, Passage making and ability as skipper, Yacht handling under power, Yacht handling under sail, Adverse weather conditions, Emergency situations, Ability after the course Able to skipper a yacht on coastal passages by day and night
- The Coastal Skipper Practical Certificate is awarded on successful completion of practical exam over one day and one night. By the end of the course you Coastal Skippers should be able to undertake more difficult passages by day and night, be able to handle the yacht in more demanding conditions and have the knowledge, if not the experience, to become a Yachtmaster
- Please contact us with the dates you would like to do this course and we will try to arrange this for you