This five-day RYA Coastal Skipper motor course is for advanced skippering techniques for yachtsmen and women with considerable knowledge of motor cruising and navigation that want to undertake coastal passages by day and night. This intensive practical course covers skippering passages in more challenging conditions and provides thorough tuition for passage planning, pilotage by day and night, boat handling, safety and emergency situations.
A coastal skipper is a yachtsman or woman who has the ability to skipper a yacht in coastal waters by day or night. There is a shore based course which provides the background knowledge required, a practical course which teaches the skills and techniques required, and a Certificate of Competence.
- Minimum age 17
- 15 days, 2 days as skipper, 300 miles, 8 night hours
- Boat handling to the standard of Day Skipper and navigation to shore based Coastal
- Completed the Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Offshore shore-based course
- Seaman’s Guide to the Rules of the Road by JWW Ford
- Yachtmaster for Sail and Power by Alison Noice
BRING WITH YOU ON THE DAY
- Waterproof clothing, Sunscreen
- Duration: 5 days, Start and finish time: 09.30 to variable
- Passage planning, Preparation for sea, Pilotage, Passage making and ability as a skipper, Radar, Boat handling, Adverse weather conditions, Emergency situations
- The Coastal Skipper Practical Certificate is awarded on successful completion of the RYA Coastal Skipper Motor practical exam over one day and one night
- By the end of the RYA Coastal Skipper course, skippers should be able to undertake more difficult passages by day and night, be able to handle the yacht in more demanding conditions and have the knowledge, if not the experience, to become a Yachtmaster.
- Please contact us with the dates you would like to do this course and we will try to arrange this for you